Friday, February 29, 2008

poster 13- oi polloi 1994


feb 29th, originally uploaded by rebecca ann rakstad.

remembered by Kirk Syrek, MK-ULTRA

I have 2 brief fireside stories:

1. I went to see Oi Polloi there in 1994 and the place was packed. There was a small group of about 10 skinheads that showed up and were causing trouble. The place almost turned into a riot. I remember about 150 punks yelling/chanting "Get Out! Get Out!" and the skins were in the middle ready to fight and it was a pretty intense situation. I’m not a very good story teller, but if you ask around, I bet you can get a good description of what exactly went down that night.

2. Ok, now my other story is about the origins of the fireside and how it got started. This is true and I don’t care what anyone says about it. My friend found the fireside and basically started doing shows there, BEFORE Brian Peterson or anyone else. His name is Jim Grimes and he put on one of the first shows there. It was BEFORE they had a stage or anything. Bands set up on the floor in the corner and the bowling alley chairs and everything were still all the way down to the wall, right up next to the stage (later on they built a stage, ripped out chairs, and widened the area for bands). It was just a tiny area for the bands to squeeze into. The band that played was a straight edge moshcore band called Unbroken and a video of this show does exist.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

actually, the first show was put on by mbrs of blue man group, they had a band called "JOE", at the same time Underdog Records hosted Disco Bowling where they would play 8-tracks and bowl, also, Kelly Kuvo of the scissor girls put on a benefit for a cable access show with Trenchmouth...and a girl named Kim did the first show I went to, Jim Grimes and I started doing shows at the same time, before there was a stage, on the floor, this was in 1994, sorry...bp

Chrisfear said...

I was at the oi polloi show. Germ and a crew of skins came out to talk trash to degsey and oi polloi about their song "americans out". I believe germ (had OI! tattooed on his head) through some mc donalds towards the stage. One of the skins suckers punched my boy dennis. Dennis figured out which kne it was, jumped over a few people in his way and knocked that skin on his ass. When we finally got the skins out and locked the door, the sound guy pulled the mics, v.m. live lacked their recorder and the skins went and got a pistol out of a car and wanted dennis head. I witnessed the whole thing.